Thank you for your interest in joining Notting Hill Genesis. We look forward to hearing from you when you see one of our vacancies that looks like a job you’ll love.
The application form
For many of our jobs, we ask candidates to complete an application form. We think that this is a great opportunity for you to tell us about your past experiences and how they relate to the competencies and skills we’re looking for.
Bring it to life
Telling us about real examples from your experience – professional or personal – is especially important when you’re applying for one of our vacancies that doesn’t need you to have worked in the housing sector before.
We’ll ask you to write about times when you’ve done things well in the past. This helps us understand how your experience and skills are transferrable to the qualities and behaviours that we have identified as important to do our jobs well. It’s really important that you tell us about real-life experiences that you’ve had.
As with all good stories, when you tell us about your experience in your application, each example should include a beginning, middle and an end.
Not sure where to start?
If you’re not sure where to start, read the description of the behaviours we’re looking for (the “competency description”), and then when you’ve thought of your example, tell us about it using the “STAR” structure:
Most of your focus should be on the ‘A’ and ‘R’ parts of your example.
- Avoid talking generally – for example, if you have a fantastic customer service approach, don’t just say so, show us by telling us about a time you actually delivered great service.
- Avoid saying what you think you would do – tell us what you have done and achieved.
- Avoid saying “we” – it’s important to focus on what you personally did or said rather than what you did as a group with other people.
- Make sure your example is relevant – read the competency description and make sure that your example shows us the same behaviours we’ve said we’re looking for.
- Use active words to describe your actions – eg instead of saying “A meeting was set up
with the customer” say “I arranged a meeting with the customer so that I could speak to them and identify their needs”.
We have a competency framework in place which links our core values at NHG to the behaviours we expect of our staff at work. Each role we advertise requires that certain competencies be satisfied. Please be sure to address the competencies at the right level for the role you’re applying for. You can check the level on the role profile published with each advert.
Download a copy of our competency framework.