Now that the weather is getting warmer, many of us will be thinking about dusting off the barbecue and stocking up on charcoal.
While we all enjoy some fun in the sun, it is important to keep safety in mind:
• Never use a barbecue indoors or on your balcony, and light them well away from anything that could catch fire.
• Never leave a barbecue unattended and do not allow children or pets to play near the barbecue.
• Keep a bucket of sand or water nearby for emergencies.
• Only use barbecue fuel or firelighters, never petrol or paraffin.
• Wear the right clothes when barbecuing – make sure shirt tails, sleeves or apron strings don’t dangle over the fire.
• Barbecues stay hot for hours. When you have finished cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before you try to move it.
• Empty the spent ash onto garden soil – never in the dustbin.